Thursday, March 24, 2011

I have been so excited for my trip this summer to Honduras and the many things happening with Red Thread. I have such big dreams to reach out to those who are in countries with limited resources, most specifically third world countries. I was listening to one of my friends attempt to sell a Red Thread bracelet to one of the guys in our history class. He raised questions about how did he know that the money went to what we were saying it went to and basically just making me very angry. He also asked why should we focus on other countries when the same thing is happening here in the US. Frequently I have dismissed this subject. Tonight I was at a bible study and we spoke about Epaphras. A man that is only spoken about 3 times in the bible. How insignificant right? Lets just focus on Jesus he gets more spotlight! Epaphras had a vision and made a huge difference where he lived. Honestly I need to go back and restudy what we studied last night but this is the main point I want to focus on. My desires to go abroad are merely described, or I merely describe them, as a chance to help people that are less fortunate than me. Am I not also called to be like the good samaritan? When someone is in need, when the person that lives within 10 feet of me avoids anything to do with the church, when a coworker struggles because I simply adopt views of her based on others? How can I successfully help others abroad when I can't even get it right on my own turf?! um... now to another point or "futherance" of the main one!

Tonight I listened to stories from Beach Reach and hear about the stories and excitement of the rededication or dedication of lives to God. As a guy told his story his excitement could not be contained. What if we were as concerned with our friends and our neighbors as we are about these people that we reach out to that we don't even know? With me I am so caught up in being known as accepting and not judgmental. My determination to be so accepting prevents me from pointing out the true flaws in the situation and ultimately share the awesome grace of our Father. Though this unfortuanely is not the only factor in my lack of witnessing. Thinking about this I wonder why I am not focused on my friends and those close to me as much as I am on those from other countries that I don't even know. Not that they should be more important but just as important. Why have I not focused on them as much as I need to, as much as I care about them, as much as I love them. We are not safe. I am not safe. Unfortanately we cannot bring whichever friends into heaven we want with us. It was also commented tonight that Epapherus ultimately loved people so much that the amount of ridicule or humilation that he endured did not hinder his persistance.

Don't forget those closest to you and don't forget those in the distance. Ultimately strive to ensure true life to all those you encounter. Have a vision and make a difference. I can be Epapherus.

1 comment:

  1. I agree, it is important to care about what is going on immediately around you. I believe that God calls us to certain places and draws us to certain things for a reason. Every place we go and every person we meet is a part of our lives for a reason, we are called to make a change in every aspect of the lives that God has blessed us with. However, that doesn't mean that you can't work both where you are and somewhere else in the world. Creating a huge network of giving to those who need it more can't be bad, can it? It is important to be engaged in your immediate community but if God calls you abroad, then go obediently because not only will you bless those you meet there, but you will come back with rich experiences and new outlooks that will bless those back home. Keep doing what you're doing Cass, you inspire me!
    -Sammy :)

    ReplyDelete